Friday, October 5, 2012
Rainy Day People
So yesterday was one of the first days in a long time that my family and I were able to go somewhere and spend the day together. Between Spud working here and there and everywhere, Gabe in school and soccer and me with...well just trying to juggle everyone else's schedule-we just haven't been able to spend the time together that I would like. The entire summer has been that way and it was wearing on me. So yesterday since Gabe didn't have school and Spud didn't have to work-and decided to take a day away from getting the rental house ready to sell-we decided to go and enjoy the colors that an Iowa fall brings. If you are involved in photography or just appreciate it, you know that this is the time of year to take pictures, of the scenery, of your family, everything. An Iowa fall is one of my favorite things about living here (I'm not going to think about all the dust and allergies that go with it :)) So in my mind I had pictures of the warm beautiful sun bouncing off the reds, oranges and yellows-leaving me in awe of their beauty. But those pictures in my mind were not made into a reality--because yesterday was not only cold and cloudy---but at the state park of our choice it was also rainy. Yes, in a season of drought...it was rainy. Now don't get me wrong we NEED the rain...very very badly in fact..but sometimes it's like some kind of joke being played on me...remember me saying we haven't been able to do anything in forever!! And the only day we could...it's raining. Now this might not have bothered me so much if this past month was not full of those little disappointments and annoyances every time I turned around. I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything because I often feel guilty for complaining about anything-I mean I have SO much to be thankful for...but I was annoyed. I was throwing a little pity party in my head-grumbling about the rain, the cold, the clouds. I mean honestly-everytime it seemed to let up a little bit so I could maybe get a few shots of my family I would get out of the van and it would start raining harder...I swear! And I would grumble a little more-almost in tears over my frustration. I just wanted this day to be wonderful and perfect. And then as I was standing out in the rain...trying to set up my tripod for a few family snaps-I looked up and it was like God hit me with ton of bricks...how selfish I was being. How I was letting a little rain (or a lot of rain)spoil this precious time with my family. I realized that even though the sun was not shining, birds were not singing-that it wasn't what I "pictured" as the perfect day...that there is still a lot of beauty in the rainy days of life too. The reflection of the water on the smooth pavement, the stark contrast of color against the dark grey sky. The sound of the rain as it fell on the bone dry land. Not to mention all of the memories of setting up a tripod in the rain, running back and forth in efforts to capture a few shots of my beautiful family in the rain. After thinking about it-it really was a true reflection of life these past few months. It's not one of those times where the sun is shining and all is right with the world, but it's not stormy either-it's just rainy. But even in these rainy days there are still glimpses of beauty if I just stop grumbling and start looking upward. After we got home I looked at the pictures that we took that day and was pleased-yeah it was rainy, cold and cloudy-but we were happy and enjoyed just being together, and that is beautiful.
Pouting about the rain
succumbing to the rainy day beauty
we are cool
rainy day people




No comments:
Post a Comment