I prayed several times before we left that this could be just what our family needed-to reconnect, relax, and just have fun being together. This summer (and last) have made us all a little crazy so we packed our day with lots of fun (and free) things to do. The first plan of action was just to relax at our hotel-that we made sure had a pool. Gabe was over the moon when I told him that we were going to stay in a hotel with a pool (which we haven't done in about a year---and it's something he asks about all the time)...so he seriously laughed for 5 minutes. That plan was pretty flawless except the pool was freezing. But we swam anyway and didn't care if our lips turned blue. I usually just sit back and take pictures but once in awhile I challenge myself to just live in the moment instead of worrying about capturing it...so sorry-no pictures of that. It was a fun evening filled with cable T.V. games and lots of jumping around on the bed (by Tad).
The next day after breakfast we checked out and drove to our first stop The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. We just stuck to the outside sculptures since we were short on time, but we had a lot of fun. I always wanted to go see the huge Birdies...so my dream was fulfilled. I'm such a sucker for all that touristy stuff. The boys had fun running around and not wanting to cooperate for the camera.

Our next stop was one we had been to the year before when we were in the area with friends for the Vennard reunion-the Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead. We thought this would be a great place to go for Tad and that he would really be able to enjoy it more this time around. Plus there is the added bonus that it is free admission Monday through Thursday! It didn't disappoint. The boys had a lot of fun petting the animals, feeding the goats and geese, and riding the peddle tractors. I also had an enjoyable conversation with an employee who worked in the general store/gift shop...I always find it enjoyable to hear even just parts of other people's stories.
Then we were on our way back to Iowa...but before we left Kansas City we found ourselves in the middle of a high-speed chase involving a carjacker. The amount of police cars and the whole situation really had Gabe shaken up...but thankfully no one was hurt in the entire incident including the Mother and two children that the car was stolen from. Yes, people like this make my blood boil.
Once we arrived safely in Iowa we went to the National Balloon Classic--this was our 4th year that we've attended and it seems ever year we get to have different experiences with these balloons. I love going and look forward to it every year. It kinda stunk it was cloudy but it was another memorable experience and a great way to top off such a absolutely perfect day.
On the way back home I just found myself brought to tears-between the realization that God answered my prayers once again...and seeing my boys holding each others arms- I was just overcome with thankfulness. It's not been an easy time for my family but I'm so thankful that in the midst we could have a perfect (or at least 95% perfect) day together...


No comments:
Post a Comment