I didn't send a "Christmas Letter" with my cards this year-usually they are just pictorial accounts of the year, but I didn't even feel like doing that. So I thought I would follow my friend Rose's lead and put my Christmas letter on here-my blog that no one reads haha. I usually am all about doing my Christmas letter since it allows me to stop and reflect on the past year...but I just haven't been in the mood to take a look back at 2012. I feel that I have no room to complain, since I have my family, a roof over my head, food to eat, clothes to wear...and so much more beyond mere necessity. However 2012 was a year that held more frustrations and stress than some others. When your child watches a commercial on T.V. talking about fun summers and then turns to you and says: "we didn't have the best summer ever" you know it's been "one of those years". Summer was especially tough, because most of it my husband was working on getting our rental ready to sell. So every waking free minute was spent over there, and I home with the kids. We did get a chance to sneak away to Kansas City to spend a little time with friends which was really nice-thanks to the Schwirtzs and Daultons for letting us horn in on your vacation! Other than that and some trips to my old stomping grounds, the zoo, South Dakota, the American Gothic House and the state fair, we were home...trying to make sense of this life. This year God really has been calling Spud and I to reflect on our life, and what we are doing with it. We know that things need to change it's just been an endless road of frustrations and stressors that have made this a difficult road to travel. We want to make changes, and start new chapters however it's just been difficult in seeing how that is all going to play out and most importantly letting God direct our steps, not us. We both can be control freaks, and self reliant-so letting go and trusting can be pretty difficult for us. I pray that 2013 will hold more encouragement, more direction, and more open doors.
Now that I got all the "Debbie Downer" stuff out of the way...there were some good things that happened in 2012...Thaddaeus experienced many new firsts, including snow in February (he wasn't a fan, but likes it MUCH better this year!), first steps and first words. He's not much of a talker, which is something i'm not used to since Gabe was a talker from the start. However he is starting to say more and more-like "ma" "Da" "beeb" (Gabe), "bebo" (Gabriel), "kitty", "kee" (Cookie), "more"--there are others, but they aren't coming to mind at the moment. He also loves to howl like a coyote, roar like a lion and woof like a dog. He is one of those kids who is always watching your every move (especially if you're his big brother) and will mimic everything you do. He can already do so many things for such a young age. He also has a stellar throwing arm, and already has a nice right hook (the later he probably got from his mom). He has a great sense of humor, and loves to make "the scrunch face" which we all get a kick out of. There is never a dull moment where he is concerned, and we are SO blessed to have him a part of our lives.
Gabe graduated from Pre-K in May and started Kindergarden this fall. He loves school and is doing great. He is one of the youngest in his class, but holds his own. His teacher commented "there is no way you could have kept him home" -I agree. He is making new friends and is building his confidence in many ways-including being one of the loudest singers in his fall concert haha. He played soccer in the fall and had a great time with that. Since Spud was his coach he was able to ease into it pretty well. We enjoyed watching him progress as the season went on. He even made a few goals! He has developed a great love for "big cats" and loves to get books from the library about them-I'm pretty sure he would love to fill your ears with facts about leopards, cheetahs, lions and his favorite- tigers.
Spud still works with Energy Dr. and at the Dairy farm. We are hoping that God opens some doors for some changes in this area...but until then we are trying to be patient and trust that at the right time things will fall into place. We had to say goodbye to his sister Jessica as she and her husband once again made their home in the far away land of California-we were sad to see them go, but are excited for them as well. As I said before he did many improvements to the rental house, he was able to learn some new things and found enjoyment in making "home improvements". In his spare time he enjoys being a wonderful daddy to his boys. They have fun playing various sports and wrestling together.
Then there is me, most of my time has been spent taking care of the boys, which I'm so blessed to be here with them. Somedays are pretty stressful, but I'm glad I have this opportunity. I also started selling Norwex, things have been slower lately, but when I'm able to do parties I really enjoy getting out of the house and meeting new people. It gives me much needed "adult time" I really like the products as well so that makes a difference too. Probably my biggest accomplishment of the year was running in The Color Run 5K. Last year I never would have thought I could have met that goal...in fact I probably would have laughed at you! (ask my cousin Jenny-I laughed at her!) But I found a plan that I could stick to, and enjoyed the process. It had probably been 15 years since I had run that far so I was pretty proud of my almost 30 self! I was able to run with my sister-in-law so that made it even more fun. My mom also participated with walking-and I am so proud of her as well! I really hope to do it again this next year with even more people to spend the day with!
So now that I have rambled on and on I will close...thank you all for taking time to read this (if there is anyone who wanted to read a book) and I pray that your 2013 will be full of blessings, love, sweet moments, and lots of laughter.




No comments:
Post a Comment